So, here you are. You are all enthusiastic about coming to Greece, maybe you have travelled from far away. You are eager to see the picturesque and sunny beaches, dive into the cold refreshing waters and taste the most mouthwatering delicacies.
Now pay attention.Greece is a taste paradise, but there are a few things you should be prepared about, in order to enjoy this paradise the most.
Follow these “rules” to have a tasty Greek holiday:
- Make a small research before you visit each place. Search for local dishes, that cannot be found elsewhere, or dishes cooked a certain special way. “Whatever, I’m hungry” is not an option here!
- Do not choose a touristic tavern to enjoy your meal, just because it is near to the sight you are visiting. Check by asking locals, where is the most authentic local food.
- Do not choose taverns and restaurants, by looking to the number of the different dishes appearing on the menu. It’s easier to be homemade when there are 10 dishes on the menu, rather than 80.
- Try to taste a variety of dishes, not the same every day “souvlaki” or “moussaka”. It’s boring and unhealthy. The Greek cuisine offers a huge variety of dishes, making it even difficult to pick from.
- When picking a certain dish to enjoy, ask about its ingredients (frozen-fresh, type of oil used, freshly cooked etc.). The answer you will receive can show you a few things about what you are about to consume.
- Try to avoid always ordering a main course. There are a lot of delicious authentic taste treasures hidden in “Appetizers”. Generally cheaper choices, can order more than 1, and try even more new tastes. Feel free to experiment, you won’t be disappointed.
- Also try to avoid many fried foods in every meal. Greek cuisine offers a great variety of oily dishes, salads, roasted fish, pies, stews and oven baked dishes, that will help you keep a healthy and tasty diet during your holiday.
These “rules” certainly do not apply only on your Greek vacation. It is a list of basic instructions, so you can handle more what you are consuming. Being thoughtful and cautious doesn’t reduce any of the fun, it just helps you enjoy delicious healthy meals.
Have lots of summer fun!